Patricia Clark PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York (1998)
MSN Nursing (Gerontology)
University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky (1983)
University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama (1980)
Mastin School of Nursing, Mobile, Alabama (1975)
Chronic Illness (stroke, heart failure, Alzheimer’s disease)
Scholarship publications, funding, podium presentations for past 2-3 years
- Clark, PC, Dunbar, SB, Aycock, DM, Blanton, S, Wolf, SL. (in press) Pros and woes of interdisciplinary collaboration with a national clinical trial. Journal of Professional Nursing
- Grossniklaus, DA, O’Brien, M., Clark, PC, & Dunbar, S.B. (2008) Nutrient intake in heart failure patients. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 24, 357-63
- Dunbar, SB, Clark, PC, Quinn, C & Kaslow, N. (in press) Family influences on heart failure self care and outcomes. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 23,258-65
- Wagner, LM, Capezuti, E, Clark, PC, Parmelee, PA & Ouslander, JG. (2008). Use of a falls incident reporting system to improve care process documentation in nursing homes. Quality and Safety in Health Care 17, 104-108
- Wolf, SL, Winstein, C.J., Miller, P, Thompson, P, TAub, E, Uswatte, G, Morris, D, Blanton, S, Nichols Larsen, D & Clark, PC (2008). Retention of upper limb function in stroke survivors who have received constraint-induced movement therapy: the EXCITE randomized trial. Lancet Neurology, 7, 33-40
- Ko, J., Aycock, D.M., Clark, PC. (2007) A comparison of working versus nonworking stroke familycaregivers. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. 39, 217-225. (Refereed)
- Klinedinst, JN., Clark, PC, Blanton, S. & Wolf, SL. (2007). Congruence of depressive symptom appraisal between persons with stroke and their caregivers. Rehabilitation Psychology.52, 215-25
- Underwood, JC, Clark, PC, Blanton, S, Aycock, DM, Wolf, SL (2006). Pain, fatigue, and intensity of practice in people with stroke who are receiving constraint-induced movement therapy, Physical Therapy,86,1241-1250.
- Clark, PC, Ashford, S., Burt, R, Aycock, DM, & Kimble, LP. (2006).A factor analysis of the Revised Piper Fatigue Scale in a caregiver sample. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 14(2), 71-79.
- Clark, PC, Dunbar, SB, Aycock, DM, Courtney, E, & Wolf, SL. (2006). Caregiver perspectives of memory and behavior changes in stroke survivors. Rehabilitation Nursing,31, 26-32. (Awarded the 2006 Editors Choice for Manuscript of the Year by the Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. Awarded the 2006/7 Stroke manuscript of the year by the American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing)
- Clark, PC, Kutner, NG, Goldstein, FC, Peterson-Hazen, S, Garner, V, Zhang, R, Bowles, T. (2005) Impediments to timely diagnosis of Alzheimer’s Disease among African Americans. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 53(11), 2012-7.
- Wagner, LM, Clark, PC, Parmelee, P, Capezuti, E, & Ouslander, J. (2005). Use of a content analysis procedure for the development of a falls management audit tool. Journal of Nursing Measurement,13,101-13.
- Nichols-Larsen, D.S., Clark, P.C., Zerinque, A., Greenspan, A., & Blanton, S. (2005). Factors influencing stroke survivors’ quality of life during sub-acute recovery. Stroke, 36, 1480-1484
- Dunbar, SB, Clark, PC, Deaton, C, Smith, AL, De, AK, & O’Brien, MC. (2005). Family education and support interventions in heart failure: A pilot study. Nursing Research, 54(3), 158-166.
- Parker, KP, Kimble, LP, Dunbar, SB & Clark, PC (2005). Symptom interactions as mechanisms underlying symptom pairs and clusters. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 17, 209-215
- Clark, PC, Dunbar, SB, Shields, CG, Viswanathan, B, Aycock, D, & Wolf, SL. (2004). Influence of stroke survivor characteristics and family conflict surrounding recovery on caregivers’ mental and physical health. Nursing Research, 53, 406-13
Selected Funded Research
- Exploring Rehabilitation Treatment Effects: Stroke Survivor Quality of Life and FamilyCaregiver Outcomes 05/01/07 – 11/30/08, (PI) Allergan Inc.
- A Family Partnership Intervention for Heart Failure, (R01NR08800-01A1) 07/01/04-06/30/08, (Co-Investigator) PI: S. Dunbar, DSN, RN, FAAN ) NINR, NIH
- The Emory-Morehouse Partnership to Reduce Cardiovascular Health Disparities 10/01/04-09/3/09, (Co-Investigator), PI: A. Quyyumi, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), NIH
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center (RFA-AG-04-011) 05/01/05- 04/30/06 (PI Education Core-) PI: Alan Levey ( National Institutes on Aging, National Institutes of Health.
- Family Function, Stroke Recovery, and Caregiver Outcomes, (1 R01 NR 07612-01) 09/00-08/03 no cost extension to 8/31/05 (PI ) ( National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH
- The EXCITE (Extremity Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy Evaluation), national clinical trial, (R01 HD37606) 04/01/00-03/31/05, no cost extension to 03/31/06 (Co-investigator) PI: Steven L. Wolf, PhD, PT, FAPTA, National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research, NIH
- Symptoms, Symptom Interactions and Health Outcomes, Exploratory Center Grant 08/01-07/04 no cost extension to 07/05 (Co-investigator –, PI: K. Parker, PhD, RN, FAAN,,National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH
- Dementia Symptom Recognition and Caregiver Outcomes of African American Caregiving Families, 09/01-08/03 (PI), Alzheimer’s Disease Association
- Clark, PC (2007). Caregiver Perspectives of Memory and Behavior Changes in Stroke Survivors. (Invited- Stroke Manuscript of the Year Award presentation) State-of-the-Art Stroke Nursing Symposium, American Stroke Association International Stroke Conference, San Francisco, Feb. 5, 2007.
- Wolf, SL, Winstein, C, Miller, P & Clark, PC (2006). (Invited) EXCITE Clinical Trial Outcomes, American Physical Therapy Association, Feb. 3, 2006, San Diego, CA
- Clark, PC (2005) (Invited). Caring for the Stroke Caregiver. Caring for the Caregiver: An At-Risk Resource, American Heart Association Scientific Sessions. Nov. 2005 Dallas,TX.
- Clark, PC (2005). The Stroke Survivor and the Family’s Role in the Success of New Rehabilitation Approaches. (Invited) State-of-the-Art Stroke Nursing Symposium, American Stroke Association International Stroke Conference, New Orleans Feb 1, 2005
- Clark, PC, Dementia Symptom Recognition in African American Caregivers (2005)(Invited). Alzheimer’s seminar sponsored by UAMA Memory Research Center, the Donald W. Reynolds Department of Geriatrics, and Alzheimer’s Arkansas, Little Rock, AK
- Clark, PC, Kutner N, Goldstein, F, Peterson-Hazan, S, Garner, V, & Klinedinst, NJ, Factors Associated with Physical and Mental Health Status in African American Caregivers. Southern Nursing Research Society Conference, Atlanta Feb.3-5, 2005
- Clark, PC. Family Perspectives of Stroke, Virginia Lee Franklin Conference, Stroke 101: Improving Outcomes, Atlanta, GA, March 2, 2007.
Professional Service Activities
- Appointed Member, Stroke Committee, Council of Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association (2008-present)
- Appointed to the Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving Board of Directors (2006)
- Reviewer, Nursing Research Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, Stroke, and others
- Editorial Board, Rehabilitation Nursing (2005-present)
- Reviewer, Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health (2003-2007)
Awards and Honors
- Stroke Article of the Year Award, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, AHA and Editor’s Choice award for Manuscript of the Year, Rehabilitation Nursing (2006)
- Inducted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing (2005)
- Jean Thomas Award for Creativity in Teaching, Alpha Epsilon Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International (2005)
- Southern Nursing Research Society Hartford Geriatric Nurse Researcher Award (2005)
- Clinical Article of the Year Award, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, AHA (2004)
- Invited speaker March 2004, Great Teachers Lecture Series, Emory University (2004)
- Fellowship in the American Heart Association & Council on Cardiovascular Nursing (2003)
- Eva Tupman Nurse Researcher Award form the Georgia League of Nursing (2003)
- Georgia Nurse Researcher of the Year from the Georgia Nurses Association (2002)